Come participate and experience the first-ever fresh meat butcher contest, held at the 81st AAMP Convention in Des Moines, Iowa.
About this Event
Teams of up to three individuals from their respective state or regional associations will have 30 minutes to break down and fabricate both a beef and pork primal (or subprimal), craft a retail display for their various cuts and products and give a brief summary on the work that they have done for the judges. The competition is open to ALL members. Participants must be registered for the full AAMP Convention prior to the start of the competition.
Pre-registration is required for this event. No on-site registration will be accepted. The deadline to pre-register is Friday, May 29, 2020. A maximum of 12 teams will be allowed to compete. Tickets are on a first-come, first-serve basis. Each team should designate a captain to create the team name and be responsible for the initial registration payment. It is up to the team to divide the fees amongst themselves. Team members can be added or revised after registration. Registration is not confirmed until after the captain pays the fees for the team.
Scores will be based on the following criteria:
- Accuracy – how accurately the teams fabricate the desired beef and pork value cuts
- Technique – knife skills/efficiency of movement, safety technique, portioning, denuding and trimming
- Visual appeal – how well the teams visually merchandise, label and display their cuts for the consumer
- Yield – how much yield the teams achieve from fabricating out the beef and pork value cuts as compared to the primal (or subprimal) starting weight
- Consumer Sales Pitch – how well the teams deliver a concise, factual, appealing and persuasive sales pitch for the particular beef and pork value cut they were asked by the judges to ‘sell’ to a hypothetical customer within a two-minute timeframe.
Awards to the winning team will take place at the AAMP Convention Welcome Session, Thursday, July 30, from 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM (Iowa Events Center – Level 4, Ballroom B).
This will be an informative and fun event open to anyone to watch! We hope you can join us!