Learn the Fundamentals of Meat Specifications
Center of the Plate Training® is a three-day course designed to teach you the fundamentals of meat specifications by giving you a first-hand look at how carcasses are converted to cuts commonly used in retail and foodservice. It’s a lively learning experience that includes a detailed cutting demonstration of all the major center of the plate protein items: beef, veal, lamb, and pork, as well as sections on poultry and processed meats. You’ll come away with an increased knowledge of center of the plate items and your personal copy of the Meat Buyer’s Guide®; for over 40 years, the authoritative Guide to meat and poultry identification.
What you will learn from this course:
- The IMPS numbering system, purchasing options, and a knowledge of the meat items as described by the eighth edition Meat Buyers Guide.
- How standards keep products consistent, wholesome, and fair throughout the market.
- Common defects or inconsistencies in meat products that you should look for to prevent dissatisfied customers.
- How value is determined for meat products and how it is affected by quality parameters.
- The latest meat cuts, including previously undervalued muscles.
Who Should Attend:
This class will benefit anyone involved in the buying and selling of meat products- from meat processors to foodservice distributors to retailers and restaurants. Class information can benefit purchasing agents, sales team, product development personnel and others looking to increase their knowledge of meat cuts and specifications.
All NAMI and Foundation for Meat & Poultry Research & Education educational programs are accessible to persons with disabilities. Please let us know your needs in advance if you require special accommodations or auxiliary aids. Please contact us for more information.
Please contact us for more information or registration questions, Nicole Vetsch, Manager, Meetings & Conference Services, 202.587.4200