The short course focuses on the technology of sausage production and other types of meat processing. Topics range from lectures on basic meat science to demonstrations of processing techniques. Speakers, nationally and internationally recognized authorities in their fields, will provide information about the latest technology available.
The 2020 course will cover fresh sausage, cooked sausage and dry and semi-dry sausage in addition to section and formed cured meats and whole muscle precooked meats. Production of reduced fat products will be discussed and a special feature will be presentations on “ethnic sausage products.”
The course will use a hands-on approach to meat processing. Under the supervision of an instructor, participants will be divided into teams and have the opportunity to formulate and manufacture a processed meat product.
Enrollment for this course is limited to 60 so that participants have ample opportunities to interact with speakers and staff and have their questions answered. Iowa State University’s modern Meat Laboratory allows participants to observe demonstrations and gain hands-on experience with the latest technology.
Registration for the 2020 Sausage & Processed Meats Short Course will open at 9:00 a.m. cst on April 30, 2020.
The fee for the 2020 Sausage & Processed Meats Short Course is $1,900 per person if registered by June 26, 2020. After June 26, 2020, the fee will increase to $2,200 per person. The fee includes course materials, breakfast and lunch each day, and evening social events. Local transportation and transportation between the Des Moines Airport and Gateway Hotel are also included.
To register for the course (on or after April 30, 2020) click on Registration and select Sausage & Processed Meats Short Course. Please keep the following in mind when registering:
- Your spot in the course will not be confirmed/guaranteed until payment is received in full
- If you are paying via credit card, you must enter payment information at the time of registration, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express are accepted
- Invoices will be sent to those who do not pay via credit card at the time of registration, as a reminder, your spot will not be confirmed until payment is received in full, invoices are due within 10 days
- If you are requesting transportation between the Des Moines Airport and the Gateway Hotel, you do not have to include the arrival/departure information at the time of registration, it can be emailed at a later date
This short course is designed for persons with supervisory, production, and technical responsibilities in commercial meat processing operations. It will also provide valuable information for those in marketing and supplier industries.
Basic Meat Science
Natural Smoke Flavors
Stuffing and Clipping
Moisture Enhanced Meats
Dry and Semi-Dry Sausage
The Sausage & Processed Meats Short Course will be held at the Meat Laboratory on the campus of Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa. Parking is not available on campus, therefore shuttle will transport participants between the Gateway Hotel & Conference Center and the Meat Laboratory.
The course will begin with an optional welcome reception and dinner on Sunday, July 12, 2020 at the Gateway Hotel & Conference Center at 6:00 p.m. Each day the course begins at 8:00 a.m. and concludes by 5:30 p.m. with breakfast, lunch and breaks included. There will be social functions each evening to allow participants the opportunity to interact with each other as well as speakers and industry professionals. The course will conclude at noon on Friday, July 17, 2020.
Sunday: 6:00-8:00 p.m. – optional welcome reception and dinner
Monday: 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. – evening social
Tuesday: 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. – picnic
Wednesday: 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. – evening social
Thursday: 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. – Wurstfest
Friday: 7:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. – If you are flying, you should not book your departure time prior to 3:00 p.m. on Friday, July 17, 2020
Breakfast: included with your hotel room at Gateway (if you made your reservation outside of the Sausage & Processed Meats Short Course block, breakfast may not be included in the price), you will receive a voucher at check-in. In addition, fresh fruit, assorted donuts and pastries, cereal bars, juice, coffee, soda and water will be available at the Meat Laboratory.
Lunch: will be provided on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
Breaks: coffee, soda, bottled water and snacks will be available all day at the Meat Laboratory.
Evening events: optional reception and dinner on Sunday; hosted bar and appetizers on Monday and Wednesday; hog roast on Tuesday; and reception and Wurstfest on Thursday.
A block of sleeping rooms has been reserved at the headquarters hotel with a rate of $118.00 per night plus taxes, including breakfast each day:
Gateway Hotel & Conference Center
2100 Green Hills Drive (exit 146 off US Highway 30)
Ames, Iowa 50014
Contact the hotel directly to make your own reservation by June 26, 2020 to guarantee a room at the conference rate. Indicate you are attending the Sausage & Processed Meats Short Course. Reservations made after the deadline are subject to room availability and not guaranteed the conference rate.
Phone: 515-292-8600 – indicate you are attending the Sausage & Processed Meats Short Course
Online: click here to reserve your room online.
Included in your registration is transportation between the Des Moines Airport and the Gateway Hotel in Ames. Transportation can be requested when you register or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Following are a few things to note regarding this service:
- Your shuttle request must be made by July 6, 2020, any requests made after that date may not be guaranteed a spot on the shuttle
- If you have requested transportation from the Des Moines Airport to the Gateway Hotel in Ames, you will receive further information the week prior to the event.
- If you have not already arranged for airport transportation and would like to do so, please contact Matt Wenger at email@example.com with the following information.
- Arrival Time
- We only offer the service on Sunday, July 12, 2020 (Des Moines to Ames) and Friday, July 17, 2020 (Ames to Des Moines)
- If you will be arriving or departing on alternative dates and require shuttle service, we suggest you make a reservation at a hotel near the Des Moines Airport and we will pick-up/drop-off there. Please notify us if that is your intention
- The shuttle on Sunday, July 12, 2020 is scheduled on an as needed basis
- For those participants requesting transportation to the Des Moines International Airport, the shuttle will depart the Gateway Hotel & Conference Center at 1:00 p.m. for Des Moines on Friday, July 17, 2020
- You should not schedule your departure flight prior to 3:00 p.m. on Friday, July 17, 2020
Download the brochure for the 2020 Sausage & Processed Meats Short Course.
Change in Plans
If you cancel your registration by June 26, 2020 you may send a substitute or you may receive a refund less a $50.00 processing fee. If you cancel your registration after June 26, 2020 you may send a substitute or apply your registration fee to another Sausage & Processed Meats Short Course at the Iowa State University Meat Laboratory. Contact Matt Wenger or 515-294-9279.